During this time of decreased physical activity and social interaction, it’s important to recognize the impact of youth sports on the physical and mental well-being of young athletes.
The Jr. NBA Program of the Year powered by Under Armour celebrates youth basketball organizations for their dedication to developing boys and girls on and off the court, supporting the physical and mental well-being of young athletes, and finding ways to keep young boys and girls active and connected to the game through safe and healthy programming during the pandemic.
Up to six (6) youth basketball organizations that meet the following criteria will be rewarded as finalists for the chance to be named Jr. NBA Program of the Year:
- How does your organization embody the core values of the Jr. NBA?
- Jr. NBA Core Values: Teamwork, Respect, Determination, Community
- Demonstrate how your organization focuses on the holistic development of all participants (e.g., focusing on developing healthy, well-rounded, confident individuals)
- Share examples of how your organization incorporates core values into your programming
- How has your organization positively impacted youth athletes and your wider community during the pandemic?
- Illustrate programs and opportunities your organization has provided for the community during the pandemic
- Provide examples of positive experiences created for youth, parents, and families during the pandemic (e.g., virtual programs, scholarships or additional assistance offered)
- Demonstrate how your organization caters to the mental well-being of its athletes during this time of decreased physical activity and social interaction
Each finalist will receive the following:
- $1,000 Under Armour digital gift card
- Automatic entry for the chance to win Jr. NBA Program of the Year
- Free Positive Coaching Alliance Zoom Workshop for your coaches
- Free USA Basketball Coach License for select number of coaches in your organization (to be determined by the Jr. NBA)
- Recognition across Jr. NBA digital and social media platforms, including during the Jr. NBA Leadership Conference powered by Under Armour in May 2021
Jr. NBA Program of the Year Prize
- $5,000 grant to your youth basketball organization
- NBA Program of the Year winner plaque
- Applications closed on March 26, 2021
- Select applications will receive communication from Jr. NBA by April 19, 2021 if they’re being considered as a finalist
- Organizations will be notified by the Jr. NBA no later than May 3, 2021 if they have been selected as a finalist
- Finalists will participate in public fan voting on social media from May 17-23, 2021
- Winning organization will be announced on social media during the week of May 24
- Organization will be recognized as the Jr. NBA Program of the Year through the remainder of 2021
**The health and safety of the entire youth basketball community – including players, parents, coaches and staff – remains paramount. Organizations that were unable to host in-person programming due to the ongoing pandemic will still be eligible for Jr. NBA Program of the Year. We encourage all organizations to continue to work with medical experts and local officials to determine the appropriate course for in-person programming.
You must be registered for the Jr. NBA to qualify. If your organization is not a registered Jr. NBA member organization, click here to register.