The Jr. NBA Program of the Year powered by Under Armour celebrates youth basketball organizations for their dedication to developing boys and girls on and off the court, supporting the physical and mental well-being of young athletes, and finding ways to keep young boys and girls active and connected to the game through safe and healthy programming during the pandemic.
The Jr. NBA and Under Armour are proud to announce ANGELS ATHLETICS as the 2021 Jr. NBA Program of the Year powered by Under Armour!
Angels Athletics is a non-profit youth organization for girls based in Flossmoor, IL that is committed to developing youth of good character, encouraging sportsmanship and academic excellence, and building strong leaders on and off the court. They want young girls of all athletic abilities and interest to be part of a positive and caring community, to be encouraged to try, to be challenged and to succeed!
Through in-house leagues, skills and drills sessions, and competitive travel play, they provide an avenue to teach life-skills and build confidence for goal achievement and use a “HALO Empowerment” approach: Health + Academics + Leadership = Opportunity. Additionally, they complement their basketball programming with several development programs co-hosted and co-planned by their players, including virtual Her Time To Play sessions, an annual Leadership Conference featuring female community leaders, social justice conversations, coding and robotics STEM activities, a Health and Wellness Fair focused on nutrition, injury avoidance, and mental health, Career Forums and weekly team check-ins. Angels Athletics also partners with local schools and park districts to teach basketball to younger and differently abled girls who are brand new to the sport but interested in learning.
To learn more about the other 2021 finalist organizations, click here. Each finalist was selected based on the following criteria:
- How does your organization embody the core values of the Jr. NBA?
- Jr. NBA Core Values: Teamwork, Respect, Determination, Community
- Demonstrate how your organization focuses on the holistic development of all participants (e.g., focusing on developing healthy, well-rounded, confident individuals)
- Share examples of how your organization incorporates core values into your programming
- How has your organization positively impacted youth athletes and your wider community during the pandemic?
- Illustrate programs and opportunities your organization has provided for the community during the pandemic
- Provide examples of positive experiences created for youth, parents, and families during the pandemic (e.g., virtual programs, scholarships or additional assistance offered)
- Demonstrate how your organization caters to the mental well-being of its athletes during this time of decreased physical activity and social interaction
Angels Athletics will receive a $5,000 grant to support their girls programming efforts, in addition to the finalist prizes which include the following:
- $1,000 Under Armour digital gift card
- Free Positive Coaching Alliance Zoom Workshop for your coaches
- Free USA Basketball Coach License for select number of coaches in their organization
- Recognition across Jr. NBA digital and social media platforms